Designing the perfect interior or outdoors is about creating appealing focal points and visual and geometric contrast. Too much of the same can often seem boring, which is precisely the case with backyards and patios that are entirely flat—Have you ever seen how your deck space acquires a whole new charm when you add a new level to it with a few steps? Even a refreshing Jacuzzi with a couple of steps can make a big difference to the visual. But sunken seating takes this idea to a new level by creating an inimitable, cozy, and often private outdoor backyard lounge.
01. Breathtaking Conversation Pit Surrounded By The Pool With Smartly Hidden Stepping Stones
02. Amazing Deck Takes The Sunken Lounge Design To A Whole New Level
03. Contemporary Patio In Sydney With A Trendy Sunken Lounge
04. Large Lagoon Pool With A Lovely Lounge And Fire Pit In The Middle
05. Cool Sunken Lounge On The Patio With An Exotic Topical Theme
06. Cube Ottomans Add A Touch Of Contemporary Style To The Sunken Seating Along With The Firepit
07. Sunken Seating On The Patio Next To The Wooden Deck
Sunken and raised areas bring a sense of excitement to the outdoors and add a hint of playfulness. They also help define individual spaces in a large area, and sunken seating is the perfect way to make the outdoor lounge the central attraction of the landscape. Here are some stunning and wide-ranging inspirations that take it a step down to elevate the aesthetics up a notch or two!
Poolside Summer Delights!
Summer is just a couple of weeks away, and now is the time to plan for all those outdoor dinners, parties, lazy evenings, and dreamy nights in the backyard. Sunken seating around the fire pit has a magical and almost woodsy charm. But you can turn up the heat even more by surrounding it with your pool! A fireplace next to the pool inherently makes for a brilliant visual; sunken seating enhances this appeal immensely. These snug, secluded, sunken lounge areas are perfect for catching up with friends and family while sipping your favorite beverage.
08. Fire Pit At The Heart Of The Pool With Sunken Seating Around It And A Beautiful Bridge Leading The Way
09. Gorgeous Pool Area With A Fire Pit And Sunken Lounge At Its Heart
10. Sunken Seating Surrounded By The Pool In The Backyard
11. Pool Area With A Sunken Lounge Fire Pit And A Beautifully Crafted Entry
12. Sunken Tiki Bar And Sitting Area Next To The Pool
13. Step Into The Sunken Lounge In The Pool In Style
14. Sunken Lounge In The Pool After Sunset
The sunken lounge at the heart of the pool requires an entry point, and you can either use stepping stones concealed by the pool or a beautiful bridge that makes the setting even more impressive. If you love to party, then a sunken lounge that doubles as a dining area or even a Tiki bar is an excellent addition to the backyard. These dramatic lounges look even more breathtaking when part of infinity pools with ocean views!
Subtle And Understated
Sunken seating ideas need not just involve the sitting area alone. You can extend this idea by creating a subtle yet beautiful sunken lounge that is far more practical and far less dramatic. While the slight change in the level might not seem as visually striking, it still significantly impacts the overall context of your patio or yard. Often, all you need is a slight change in the height of the lounge, along with a couple of steps that accentuate the effect. Complete this area with a few chairs and add a fireplace to turn it into a happening hub!
15. Relaxed Sunken Area In The Backyard Lined With Reclaimed 150-Year-Old York Stone
16. Sunken Fire Pit With A Subtle Change In The Various Levels Of The Outdoor Space
17. Sunken Seating Space That Is Less Dramatic And Minimal
18. Create A Dynamic Interplay Between Different Levels Of The Patio
19. Mediterranean Style Patio With Sunken Seating And Luxury Pool
20. String Lighting Adds To The Beauty Of The Sunken Lounge
21. Change In The Various Levels Of The Outdoor Space Need Not Always Be Dramatic
One of the advantages of using modern outdoor furniture instead of built-in seating is that it allows you to add or remove seating options depending on your current needs. Wooden benches, oversized couches, or even a chaise lounge can be combined with a few chairs to create an elegant and trendy sunken seating lounge that serves you for years to come. Adding a pergola-style structure around it gives you the added benefit of shade, and you can even transform this into an outdoor dining space over time.
Play With The Contours
As always, the aesthetics of your home and comfort come ahead of conventions, and sunken seating and outdoor lounge spaces are no different. Instead of adhering to the traditional designs, it is time to add a pinch of excitement to the outdoors with innovative new interpretations of the sunken lounge. While some homeowners prefer modern and minimal versions of the private conversation pit, others love the theatrical, over-the-top designs. Plan a sunken space that links two other levels in the backyard, or create a sunken level that connects with the basement of your house. The options here are aplenty.
22. Concealing The Outdoor Seating Area On A Different Level In Style
23. The Sunken Patio Offers Ample Privacy Along With The Wooden Slats That Surround The Place
24. Outdoor Seating Next To The Fire Pit And The Waterfall Feature Offers Ample Privacy
25. Small, Cozy, And Secluded Space Around The Fire Pit
26. Chic Patio With Sunken Seating And Amazing Views Of The Sydney Harbor
27. Create A Cool Conversation Pit Outdoors With Sunken Spaces
28. Stunning Sunken Patio Offers Breathtaking City Skyline Views
Sunken seating promises to transform a landscape and gives you a sense of privacy, even in a large, open yard. It also ensures that you need not install tall fences and ruin the view outside for a few moments of solitude. A legacy of the 60s and the 70s, it is a trend that is gaining quick popularity as modern designers breathe new life into this retro trend. And this summer, it could be where you spend countless hours as you take in the sights and sounds outside!
Photos source: Public Domains
Like what you’re reading? Subscribe to our top stories.