It’s that time of year again, folks, when our pals sift through the world’s best building designs to pinpoint the year’s most impressive feats of architecture.
Now, after a whopping 3,500 nominations for projects around the globe, the Building Designs of the Year Awards is open to the public. Readers can vote for their favorite design spanning categories like commercial, educational and religious architecture, not to mention housing, offices, refurbishment, and more. The entire list of contenders can be seen here, but we’ve compiled a list of our 15 favorites for your viewing pleasure.
Behold 15 of the world’s best new buildings:
01. The Blue Planet by 3XN (Copenhagen, Denmark)
02. Alcácer do Sal Residences by Aires Mateus (Alcacer do Sal, Portugal) By FG+SG – Fernando Guerra, Sergio Guerra
03. PARKROYAL on Pickering by WOHA (Singapore)
Photo by: Patrick Bingham-Hall
04. House of the Arts by Future Architecture Thinking (Miranda do Corvo, Portugal)
Photo by: João Morgado
05. Red Pepper House by Urko Sanchez Architects (Lamu, Kenya)
06. Two Hulls by Mackay-Lyons Sweetapple Architects (Canada)
07. Social Housing in Madrid by Iñaqui Carnicero Architecture Office (Madrid, Spain)
08. Hotchkiss Biomass Power Plant by Centerbrook Architects and Planners (Connecticut, US)
09. Wanangkura Stadium by ARM Architecture (South Hedland, Australia)
10. Luna Apartments by Elenberg Fraser (Australia)
11. Lille Modern Art Museum by Manuelle Gautrand Architecture (Villeneuve d’Ascq, France)
12. 48 North Canal Road by WOHA (Singapore)
13. Hoogvliet by VMX Architects (Rotterdam, The Netherlands)
14. Tree Snake Houses by Luís Rebelo de Andrade + Tiago Rebelo de Andrade (Bornes de Aguiar, Portugal)
15. Mercat Encants by b720 Fermín Vázquez Arquitectos (Barcelona, Spain)
Like what you’re reading? Subscribe to our top stories.