Many people complain about advertisements as an obnoxious way for companies to invade our everyday lives and cram their products down our throats, but that’s not all that advertisements are good for. The advertisements on this list are excellent examples of effective advertising strategies for social issue campaigns that let their voices be heard.
A well-made advertisement is designed to grab your attention and to remain in your memory long after you’ve left it behind, and that is exactly what many of these social causes need. Getting people to think and worry about various social and environmental issues (or even simply getting them to be aware of them) is important for raising public supporting and affecting meaningful changes. A few of these ads are, in fact, commercial ads, but it’s still nice that they champion socially or environmentally aware causes/products.
Just like with commercial advertisements, having just the facts is not enough. They are important, but the ad must also appeal to the observer’s emotions. Many studies have indicated that emotion can have a powerful effect on memory formation, ensuring that memories with emotion will last longer than those without.
According to “Father of Advertising” David Ogilvy, his contemporary, Howard Gossage, said that “advertising justifies its existence when used in the public interest—it is much too powerful a tool to use solely for commercial purposes.” We definitely agree, which is why we wanted to share this list of social cause advertisements with you!
01. Torture Victims Are People Just Like You And Me
02. Stop The Violence: Don’t Drink And Drive
03. Premature Ending: “If you smoke, statistically your story will end 15% before it should.”
04. World Wide Fund For Nature: Frightening vs. More Frightening
05. Your Skin Color Shouldn’t Dictate Your Future
06. Deforestation Continues With The Turn Of A Page
08. Elm Grove Police Department: Slower Is Better
09. Save Paper – Save The Planet
10. Air Pollution Kills 60.000 People A Year
Advertising Agency: unknown
11. Liking Isn’t Helping. Be A Volunteer. Change A Life
12. Bird Conservation: If You Don’t Pick It Up They Will
13. What We See When You Smoke
14. Animal Anti-Cruelty League: That’s Not A Football
15. Bangalore Traffic Police: Don’t Talk While Driving
16. Child Soldiers: It’s Not Happening Here, But It’s Happening Now
17. Censorship Tells The Wrong Story
18. Distracted Driving: Think Of Both Sides
19. Every 60 Seconds a Species Dies Out. Each Minute Counts
20. Innocence In Danger: Where’s The Pedophile?
21. Sexual Predators Can Hide In Your Child’s Smartphone
22. Smoking Causes Premature Aging
23. You’re Not A Sketch. Say No To Anorexia
24. Neglected Children Are Made To Feel Invisible. Stop Child Abuse Now
“To dramatize the issue of neglect, we placed mannequins dressed as children behind billposters. When the inevitable happened, we revealed a second message.” (Australian Childhood Foundation, JWT Melbourne)
25. Global Action In The Interest of Animals: Plastic Bags Kill
26. What Goes Around Comes Around. Keep The Sea Clean
27. Tailgating Isn’t Worth It. Give Trucks Room
28. Sea Shepherd Conservation Society: When You See A Tuna, Think Panda
29. Sleepiness Is Stronger Than You. Don’t Drive Sleepy
30. See how easy feeding the hungry can be?
31. Causing Cancer By Yourself
32. Deforestation And The Air We Breathe: Before It’s Too Late
33. For The Homeless, Every Day Is A Struggle
34. The Prevention Beer Mug: Please Don’t Lose Control Over Your Drinking
35. One Child Is Holding Something That’s Been Banned In America To Protect Them. Guess Which One?
36. Breast Cancer Awareness Bra
37. UN Women: Auto-Complete Shows Perceptions Of Women
38. Don’t Buy Exotic Animal Souvenirs
39. Buckle up. Stay alive
Like what you’re reading? Subscribe to our top stories.