31 Clever And Inexpensive Ideas For Teaching Your Child At Home
Whether you’re casually brushing up on lessons or full-on homeschooling, these activities are so fun your kid will barely realize they’re learning.
01. Organize each day with numbered art bins.
Keep the supplies for the first lesson in #1 and so on and so forth. It’ll help keep the day on track and things from getting lost.
02. Use a shoe rack for storing supplies.
03. Learn about all the discounts available to home school educators.
A lot them are the same as the ones that other teachers qualify for.
04. Draw inspiration from these simple yet effective in-home classrooms.
07. (And this definitely-less-practical-but-totally-cute one.)
Hey, if you happen to have a spare boarded up fireplace and a vintage desk on hand, what’s to stop you?
08. If you don’t have room for a fully devoted classroom, a workspace is great too.
09. Know that classroom setup doesn’t have to be expensive.
Ikea’s got you covered.
10. Have an activity jar for breaks or rainy days.
That way, you’ll never run out of ideas or fall prey to the dreaded cries of “I’M BOOOOOOORED.”
12. Keep a basket of small toys and figures for visual storytelling.
16. Keep track of chores and assignments for the day with a big board.
It works best if it’s in a place where everyone spends a lot of time, like the front hall or kitchen.
19. Use Legos to teach about the periodic table of elements…
Lesson plan available here.
21. Snack Time to teach the solar system…
22. And rice to teach relative weights.
Or really any small item that you happen to have a large amount of.
23. Practice this handy trick for mastering the 9-times table.
24. Track your child’s height and teach measurements with a giant ruler.
26. Cut out letters from magazines and newspapers for spelling lessons.
27. Use plastic Easter eggs to practice spelling as well.
Put a surprise inside for when your child has successfully read each possible word.
28. Styrofoam carry-out containers make great printing blocks for art lessons.
29. Subtraction bowling is wicked fun (and doesn’t actually make noise).
Find out how to do it here.
30. And even though sometimes you just have to whip out the Silent Sprinkles…
This teacher has tons of cool, fun ideas for keeping a class on track.
Like what you’re reading? Subscribe to our top stories.