Whether they remind you of Chicago speakeasies, medieval assassination plots or Cold-War precautions, secret rooms and passages have an undeniable mystique and appeal to them. Here are 20 secret rooms created with safety, work or play in mind.
The potential uses for a secret room are many, and they’ve been around for ages. In ancient Egypt, architects built secret rooms and hidden/false passageways to foil grave robbers. Numerous monarchs and rulers throughout history have made their escapes (or met their ends) all thanks to secret rooms and passageways. Modern presidents and other VIPs are also often protected by panic rooms, should the need arise.
Secret rooms today can provide you and your family with a safe haven or store room in the case of an emergency. Or a fun and cozy hidden nook to hide away from the outside world. Whatever the case may be, it is their secrecy and mystique that makes them so appealing to us. (H/T: Bored Panda)
01. Only the cool kids get to use the secret sauna.
02. Perfect for any bookworm looking for a place to read.
03. A secret attic bedroom? Why not!
04. Narnia has NOTHING on this hidden play room. Wow.
05. Separate your child’s work and play space with this awesome idea.
06. You only tell your favorite guests about the secret bathroom.
07. It looks like a library, but it’s actually a movie theater? Check.
08. Even simplistic designs deserve hidden rooms.
09. Harry Potter made a cupboard under the stairs sound like a BAD thing.
10. Hide toy clutter with a hidden game room.
11. The cool just keeps GOING in this house.
12. This place has infinite, comfortable nooks.
13. Every room needs a fake bookcase.
14. Don’t trust your neighbors? Hide your car.
15. Staircases are just MEANT to have secret passages.
16. Cool bookshelf?
Don’t think so.
17. This is either the coolest passageway or the worst place to be grounded to.
18. Keep your guests on their toes.
19. What? Just a hole in the floor…
20. Leading to AWESOMENESS.
Like what you’re reading? Subscribe to our top stories.