If you are an A&D lover like me, you know that finding all kinds of weird stuff is the best way to fight boredom.
And now that you’ve found that page, you are just about to kill your boredom. Do you love architecture?
Strangebuildings.com has a beautiful collection of the world’s most unusual architecture and, together with Architecture & Design, presents you with a great list of 33 strangest buildings in the world; and best of all, it’s not just another random list, but it is based on 4.520 unique visitor votes. (the voting took place here.) so don’t blame A&D lovers for this exact order; blame yourself for voting this way or for not voting at all.
Well, enough of those boring talks; prepare your hand for scrolling down the list while A&D eats another bamboo leaf. (H/T)
01. Mind House (Barcelona, Spain)
02. The Crooked House (Sopot, Poland)
03. Stone House (GuimarÃ£es, Portugal)
04. Lotus Temple (Delhi, India)
05. Cathedral of Brasilia (Brazil)
06. La Pedrera (Barcelona, Spain)
07. Atomium (Brussels, Belgium)
08. Museum of Contemporary Art (Niteroi, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
09. Kansas City Library (Missouri, USA)
10. Low Impact Woodland House (Wales, UK)
Bamboo leaf for Simon via strangebuildings.com
11. Guggenheim Museum (Bilbao, Spain)
12. Rotating Tower (Dubai, UAE)
Have you ever seen a building in motion that changes its shape? Sounds unbelievable but not to Dr. David Fisher. This building will never appear the same twice. It is amazing, but you can choose to wake up to the sunrise in your bedroom and enjoy sunsets over the ocean at dinner.
In addition to being such an incredible engineering miracle, it will produce energy for itself and other buildings because it will have wind turbines fitted between each rotating floor (picture 2). So an 80-story building will have up to 79 wind turbines, making it an actual green power plant.
13. Habitat 67 (Montreal, Canada)
14. Casa da Musica (Porto, Portugal)
15. Olympic Stadium (Montreal, Canada)
16. Nautilus House (Mexico City, Mexico)
17. The National Library (Minsk, Belarus)
18. National Theatre (Beijing, China)
19. Conch Shell House (Isla Mujeres, Mexico)
20. House Attack (Vienna, Austria)
21. Bibliotheca Alexandrina (Egypt)
22. Cubic Houses (Kubus Woningen) (Rotterdam, Netherlands)
23. Ideal Palace (France)
24. The Church of Hallgrimur (Reykjavik, Iceland)
25. Eden Project (United Kingdom)
26. The Museum of Play (Rochester, USA)
27. Atlantis (Dubai, UAE)
28. Montreal Biosphere (Canada)
29. Wonderworks (Pigeon Forge, TN, USA)
30. The Basket Building (Ohio, USA)
31. Kunsthaus (Graz, Austria)
32. Forest Spiral (Darmstadt, Germany)
33. Wooden Gagster House (Archangelsk, Russia)
P.S.: If you want more information about the building (date it was built, architect, interior shots), don’t forget to visit Strangebuildings.com.
Like what you’re reading? Subscribe to our top stories.