20+ Of The World’s Most Iconic Landmarks Before They Were Finished
You’d probably only have to see a small glimpse of the Lincoln Memorial to be able to identify it, and most people recognize the Eiffel Tower without giving it much thought. That’s because buildings and monuments like this are so iconic, they’ve simply become ingrained in our minds.
But what did these historic structures look like before they were historic?
The world’s most iconic landmarks are a big draw for tourists from around the world. But these historical landmarks are not just tourist attractions, they often serve as a milestone in history or a remarkable event in time. Photographers love landmarks, especially the challenge to capture it differently from all the average angles and classic shots. Even when these iconic landmarks were build, photographers couldn’t resist to capture it forever. We are glad that they did, because it gives us awesome insights..
Below are 22 of the world’s most famous landmarks, pictured before they became famous. After browsing these photos, you might find it hard to believe that the Statue of Liberty ever used to look like that!
01. The Sydney Opera House under construction in the 1960’s.
Image credits: Cultural Collections
Sydney Opera House – 1966
Image credits: Flickr: oakleystudios
02. Christ the Redeemer being built on a mountaintop in Sao Paolo, Brazil.
Christ The Redeemer, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil – 1931
03. Manhattan Bridge in New York City, 1909.
The Golden Gate Bridge – 1936
06. The U.S. Capitol Building in 1861.
08. The Atomium in Brussels, Belgium – 1958.
09. Chrysler Building – 1930
Image credits: AP
10. Mount Rushmore, missing some key players.
Image credits: National Geographic
Mount Rushmore – 1933
Image credits: U.S. National Park Service
11. The Statue of Liberty reaching new heights in 1885.
The Statue of Liberty – 1885
12. One World Trade Center in 2012.
World Trade Center – 1970
13. The Lincoln Memorial, pictured during construction, missing the head of Lincoln – 1920.
18. The Empire State Building in 1931.
19. The layers of the Petronas Towers being built in Malaysia in 1995.
20. The construction of the Space Needle in Seattle. This photo was taken in 1961.
Image credits: Seattle Municipal Archives
Space Needle, Seattle – 1961
Image credits: Flickr: seattlemunicipalarchives
Like what you’re reading? Subscribe to our top stories.