Street art isn’t just something that occurs from time to time when young rule-breakers manage to create art while managing to avoid to police. Street art is a massive part of community identity, political activism, and self-expression.
Every day, street artists attempt to transform another urban surface into a vehicle for their work, and this time, we’re focusing on stairs. These are beautifully painted stairs from around the world, from Philadelphia to Barcelona, to Seoul. What these artists have achieved with such a standard canvas is incredible. See the works of urban art below.
01. An exciting and detailed staircase in Tirgu Mures, Romania.
02. A giant bunny on some stairs in Albertina, Vienna.
03. A tribute to the traditional theater in Seoul, South Korea.
04. The Art Institute of Chicago, Illinois.
05. A hilarious portrait on the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art.
06. A peace-seeking design in Izmir, Turkey.
07. The many stair pencils of Poznan, Poland.
08. A charming work of stair art in Bucharest, Romania.
09. There’s nothing quite like the stairs in Santorini, Greece.
10. A particular project in Belgrade, Serbia.
11. Old, grand stairs in Valparaiso, Chile.
12. Something simple and haunting in Morlaix, France.
13. Bright and beautiful in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
14. More incredible work on steps in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
15. The impressive Bom Jesus, in Braga, Portugal.
16. The scholarly stairs in Libreria Acqua Alta, Venice.
17. 3D stair art in Angers, France.
18. Pops of color in Beirut, Lebanon.
19. An unbelievable portrait in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
20. An incredible floral staircase in Sicily, Italy.
21. Great colors in Medellin, Colombia.
22. An intimidating wolf portrait in Ottawa, Canada.
23. Old, beautiful stairs in Park Guell, Barcelona.
24. Feminine florals in Tehran, Iran.
25. All the colors of the rainbow in Istanbul, Turkey.
26. Monochrome realness in Ankara, Turkey.
27. Vibrant geometry in Beirut, Lebanon.
28. 16 Avenue Tiled Steps in San Francisco, California.
29. Piano stairs in Valparaiso, Chile.
30. Some incredibly lifelike goldfish in Seoul, South Korea.
31. A pop of color between two buildings in Wuppertal, Germany.
32. And finally, the Stairs of Peace in Syria.
Like what you’re reading? Subscribe to our top stories.