Creativity. Uniqueness. Out-of-the-box thinking. These are not words we commonly associate with public transportation, much less the valuable piece of infrastructure we call a bus stop. But this hasn’t stopped some architects and designers from deciding to put together something extraordinary for all the daily commuters that wait, rain or sun, night or day, for a bus to show up.
Internet users from all over the world share the signal and, at times, bizarre yet interesting bus stops they have encountered, so if you are waiting for a bus, congratulations; otherwise, get comfortable and be sure to upvote your favorites. (H/T)
01. In Japan, These Grandparents Didn’t Want Kids To Feel Lonely While Waiting For The Bus. So They Made A Life-Size Version Of Totoro, A Famous Cartoon Character, At The Bus Stop
02. Someone In Norway Has Furnished A Bus Stop; Nobody Knows Who
03. This Bus Stop In Brazil, Before And After An Artist Added Their Touch
If some of these stops seemed luxurious, in the 18th and 19th centuries, when coaches and carriages were the primary overland transportation, travelers would find inns and similar establishments along the route. Imagine a bus stop with beds, a restaurant, and other amenities.
An early example was the Angel in Islington, a multi-floor building where people could eat, sleep and refresh when entering or leaving London for one trip. Modern travel is fast enough to require these sorts of establishments no longer, but we can find their spiritual successors in the rest stops dotted along highways worldwide.
04. The Most Beautiful Bus Shelter In The South Hui – Shimmer Xuan Pavilion
05. To Launch Its New Breakfast Sandwiches Caribou Coffee Turned Bus Shelters In Minneapolis Into Ovens – With Real Heat
06. Interesting Bus Stops In Japan, Modeled After Fruits Such As Watermelon, Lemon, Strawberry, Tomato, & Muskmelon
Nowadays, a seat and some protection from the elements are considered sufficient. These are welcome additions for anyone who has to wait in the rain for transportation to arrive regularly, but this has also perhaps been the cause for some fascination with “unique and interesting” bus stops. After all, if most are just brick, concrete, or glass boxes, anything more will draw a person’s attention.
07. The City Of Leicester Starts Turning Bus Stops Into Interesting “Bee Stops.”
08. My Mum Painted This Mural Over Graffiti At A Bus Stop
09. Amazing Idea For A Bus Stop
Indeed, the average bus stop is so commonplace that many of us overlook them, despite interacting with them in one way or another constantly. Bus stops are generally where trash cans are placed; many will feature advertisements that may catch our eye even if we ignore the location. In this way, they already serve some public utility. Similarly, one might use a stop to shelter from the rain, even if they aren’t taking a bus anywhere.
10. This Beautiful Bus Stop Is In Holstein, Germany. In Front Of The Local High School
11. Today’s Art Bus Shelter Is The Bright Green Canopy Of Ginkgo Leaves On North Ave. One Of My Favorite Ones
12. Kwik-E-Mart Themed Bus Stop In London
Just because they are commonplace and practical doesn’t mean they must be bare. This list shows all the creativity one might find when designing a stop in some places, but certain luxuries are becoming standard in some areas. For example, bus stops may be enclosed and air-conditioned in particularly hot countries like India, Turkmenistan, Israel, and the UAE, so passengers don’t have to sit in the blistering heat for extended periods.
13. The Most Beautiful Bus Stop I’ve Ever Seen
14. Bus Stop With Buster The Cat
15. It’s Not Every Day You Find Yourself Installing A Life-Size Sheep On The Roof Of The Village Bus Shelter, But Today Was Such A Day
Ultimately, the age-old issue of costs prevents bus stops from being as comfortable, interesting, and unique as possible. Similarly, many areas have rules and regulations dictating specific standards that must be met. Overall, this is a good thing, as public utilities should be safe and functional, but the practical nature of public transportation often limits how creative one can get with it.
16. A Playful, Practical, And Quirky Bus Stop That Draws The People Of Baltimore. State Of Maryland, USA
17. Bus Stop In Thailand
18. Boa Noite, Curitiba
19. Bus Stop In Korea Spraying Mist During The Summer To Keep People Cool
20. Someone Took Advantage Of The Pattern Of Holes In This Bus Stop Bench To Macrame A Peacock Into It
21. Next Level Bus Stop At Žďár Nad Sázavou, Czech Republic
22. This Was A Bus Stop In Bangkok. Each Side Of The Stop Had A Small Garden With Essential Herbs, For Cooking Like Basil, Watercress, And Lemongrass
You pick some on the way home to add to your dinner. I thought it was pretty cool.
23. Green Roofs Contribute To The Reduction Of Dust In The Surrounding Area And Improve The Microclimate In Urbanized Areas Lacking Green Spaces
In addition, they naturally cool the space under the shelter and provide a natural habitat for small animals, thus contributing to the increase of green areas in the urban environment.
24. Cat Bus Stop, Japan
25. Bus Stop – Library In The Polish Village Of Uwieliny
26. The Mushroom Bus Stop
27. This South Korean Bus Stop
28. This Bus Stop In Germany That’s Been Decorated By Local Residents
29. Today’s Art Bus Shelter Is Pillsbury. It Makes Me Smile Every Time I See It
30. Dutch Cities Have Managed To Stabilize Urban Bee Populations By Turning Bus Stops Into “Buzz Stops.”
31. A Very Special Bus Shelter In Älvnäs, Ekerö. For Those Of You With Children Who Love Harry Potter, You Have To Visit This Place
32. How Adorable Is This Bus Stop?
33. A Bus Stop Made From An Old School Bus
34. Modern Bus Stop In Sweden
The Station of Being features wooden pods where travelers can lean very comfortably. The pods are shaped to automatically turn out of the wind, providing comfort without requiring any power. Travelers can also turn the pods to personalize the station and enable various social settings.
Designed and developed by Rombout Frieling lab and the Research Institute of Sweden.
35. I Found This Most Attractive Thatched Roof Bus Stop Shelter In Dunchurch, Warwickshire
36. SG Upping The Game For Buses & Bus Stops! From Swing, Book Corner To Charging Ports, Panel Showing Next Few Stops In Buses
37. This Bus Stop
38. This Heated Bench With A Wireless Charging Pad For Your Phone At A Bus Stop In South Korea
39. Bus Stop In Norway With Books You Can Read While You Wait
40. Bus Stop Mario
1. Go to a local WWII flak tower;
2. Add an image to a nearby bus station;
3. … And align!
41. “Wave” Bus Stop, Gagra, Abkhazia
42. First-Class Bus Stop. Why Can’t Taking The Bus Be More Luxurious? Happiness By Design
43. This Enclosed Bus Stop For The Kids To Use While Waiting In The Cold
44. This Bus Stop Was Decorated To Look Like The Set Of Rosanne
45. Bus Stop, Austria
46. Bus Stop, Poland
47. This Bus Stop Next To A Football Field
48. This Is How The Dutch Keep Their Hands Warm At Cold Bus Stops
49. Creepy Altered Carbon Bus Stop Ad
50. This Bus Stop Ad For A Health Club In The Netherlands Had A Scale In The Seat And Displayed The Sitter’s Weight For All To See – To Shame Them Into Joining
Like what you’re reading? Subscribe to our top stories.