Throughout history, people have secretly stored their most prized possessions in boxes, rooms, and passageways. From ancient Egyptian pyramids to medieval castles, we’ve been able to get close to some of the most mysterious places in the world.
To help you find the best-hidden places, A&D has collected some of the most inspirational posts from our various social media groups.
01. My Daughter Just Found The Secret Street I Built Behind Her Wardrobe For Lockdown!
These communities are full of people who enjoy sharing their home secrets. The members of r/HiddenRooms are known to discuss and post pictures of their favorite secret rooms and thoughts on other cool secret spaces.
Over 72.9K members have shared their secrets, which shows how they can access their favorite rooms through an invisible door.
While r/HiddenRooms is focused on hiding all of your rooms in plain sight, the members of this community also keep in mind that there are hidden parts in your home. In 2016, the r/SecretCompartments community was created to allow members to keep their precious items and memories safe from potential visitors.
02. Behind The Murphy Door
People are fascinated by the idea of creating hidden spaces, such as secret compartments, commonly used to hide their possessions. We caught up with Jill Herro, the owner of Secret Compartments Furniture, who specializes in creating unique furniture that’s both functional and beautiful.
The idea for Herro’s business came from her desire to have a nice piece of furniture that could store her valuables. She was able to talk about the various types of secret compartments people commonly use, but when she started looking, she found all of them to be hard to find.
After being laid off from her pharmaceutical sales job, she decided that she wanted to try something different. She lived near an Amish community with over 450 furniture makers and was eager to try something new. She started looking for furniture and found that many people were doing the same thing.
03. Wardrobe Inspiration From Narnia
04. Mom Finds Her Little Boy’s Secret Man Cave Complete With An iPad, Snacks, And A Blanket
According to the designer, people tend to hide their valuables in their furniture to make it look fun and turn everyone into preteens. However, more seriously, she said it’s also a good idea to hide your items in plain view so that burglars can quickly identify them.
Imagine the confusion you’ll feel when you realize that your expensive jewelry or money is nowhere to be found. The thieves will most likely walk right past it.
05. Built My Now Fianceè A Model House As Our Buying Plans Were Put On Hold Due To Covid
06. Does This Qualify?
Every time I do a show, I hear about someone being robbed, and they say that they didn’t care about the jewelry box, but they got a Tiffany necklace from the 1930s, which cannot be replaced. These stories break my heart. I would recommend that people put their costume jewelry in a jewelry box and then put the good stuff in their coat rack.
07. The Pantry You Didn’t Think You Needed
08. Harry Potter-Themed “Cupboard Under The Stairs” For My 8-Year-Old Daughter For Christmas
09. Secret Bathroom With A Bonus
People are fascinated by the surprising and creative solutions that people come up with. According to Jill Herro, she enjoys watching people try new things because it shows the hard work and time that goes into developing these types of solutions. Herro also noted that her designs are usually entirely standard.
10. Secret Book Pull Is Key
11. Hidden Beer
12. My Dining Room Table Houses A Secret Spiral Staircase
Getting the business up and running was the most challenging part of her job. While her clients loved her work, she had no word-of-mouth referrals as most of them refused to tell their friends about the fantastic features of her furniture. She also said that some of her customers would purchase her products as gifts for their wives but would not tell them about the hidden compartments.
13. $4000 Plug
14. Handmade Room In A Outlet
15. Summoning Danny Devito
This post has featured some of the most creative and clever ideas that you can think of. There are no limits to what you can do with these tools and ideas, and they can be used to make a secret room or hide your memories in a drawer. Creating a hidden compartment in your furniture or a space in your house designed to be a haven for your possessions are some ways these ideas can be used.
16. How Do You Like Our Secret Room?
17. Going Through The Door
18. Sleeping Spot On A Plane
19. LEGO Wall With Secret Rooms
20. Secret Bookshelf
21. My Home Whiskey Bar Is Now Open For Business!
22. Mom Turns Cupboard Under The Stairs Into Harry Potter Room
23. The Blind Pig – My Wife Was Tired Of Whiskey Taking Over The Kitchen, So While I Was Remodeling The Basement, I Decided To Find Somewhere Else To Put All Of My Booze
24. Hidden Workplace
25. This Library Behind A Painting
26. Finally Finished My Secret Pocket Door
27. I Would Probably Hit My Head On The Doorframe
28. Bought A House, Came With A Secret Cabinet Behind A Cabinet
29. Now, This Is A Nerd Lair!
30. This Amazing Secret Base
31. Secret Door
32. Pretty Neat
33. Dad Creates An Awesome Bed With A Secret Room For His Son
34. The New House My Parents Bought Has A Secret Room Hidden Under The Stairs
35. Convenience Store In Bali
36. I’ve Been Building Secret Worlds Inside Books
37. I Think This Belongs Here
38. A Door I Built To The Storage Section Of My Basement Apartment. Still In Progress
42. My Dad Built Me This Hidden Bookshelf Office
46. Secret Hideout Under The Sink
47. Here’s My Hidden Mancave. A Childhood Dream Come True
48. Now That I’m Working From Home Indefinitely, I Have My Dream Office All Set Up!
49. Not Hidden. But That Could Easily Be Changed
50. 60’s Living Room To 90’s Arcade
Like what you’re reading? Subscribe to our top stories.