Don’t you ever feel like we take things too seriously? If the heating stops working, there are many questionable yet bizarre, ingenious ways to do it—like putting a fan next to the oven. It’s not intelligent, not safe, it doesn’t work, and it’s a plain horrible idea. In itself, redneck engineering refers to using various unorthodox (read: stuff that makes you say, “Holy cow!”) and out-of-the-box methods to build, repair, or modify things.
But in the bizarre and crazy “Redneck Engineering” world, things are always far from the norm. Before we step into the Reddit community r/RedNeckEngineering, I should warn you not to try this at home. Because safety will likely be breached, and the gadgets you’ll see will raise an alarming level of suspicion.
So, let’s see what the buzz is all about in this hilarious subreddit with 354k members that has been rolling since 2013. Whether it’s a curse or a blessing, we will find out. (H/T)
01. Touchless Dispenser
02. Protection From Escaping
03. For Remote Teaching Without A Document Camera
We contacted the founder of r/RedneckEngineering to learn more about their community. The term “redneck engineering” is open for interpretation, but the Redditor assured us that it’s also “the kind of thing you know when you see.”
For example, “It can range from something as common as using a hand mirror to replace a side-view mirror to something complex like building a backyard water slide with a loop-de-loop.” The subreddit members give “bonus points if it’d make an OSHA inspector cringe.”
04. Looks Level To Me
05. Fixed The Gate Problem…
06. My 12-Year-Old Son Modified His Bike With Carpet For Barefoot Riding
The most significant difference between now and the old days in 2013, when r/RedneckEngineering was created, is growth. The founder said he used to be responsible for most of the posts, but the community has become self-sustaining over time.
You’ll see all kinds of bizarre makeshift gadgets and questionable workarounds regarding submissions. Most posts generally come from people finding “low-budget workarounds to everyday problems with a few high-effort engineering projects and other submissions sprinkled in.”
07. Rear Parking Sensor
08. When You Ask A Welder To Fix Something For You
09. Master Lock 100
10. I Found This Fork In My Brother’s House And Asked Him Why He Had Done It… Then He Ran Upstairs To Grab His iPad
11. A Whole Crap Load Of Amish Guys Moving A Barn
12. I Would Like To Buy This Guy A Beer And Hear His Story
13. Man Puts Chicken On Top Of Squeegee To Eat The Spiders Trapped In The Ceiling, Natural Pest Control
14. Landlord Decided To Turn Down The Heat Today In My Mn Apartment As It Reached -40°. But The Idiot Must Have Forgotten He Pays For My Electric And Doesn’t Realize That I Value My Comfort Over Safety Or Energy Conservation.
15. I’m Bad For Using Whatever Tool Is Handy As A Hammer, Usually A Crescent Wrench. My Husband Learned A Bit Of Welding And Redneck Engineered This For My Birthday
2 Korean students made a raft out of potato chip bags to prove they had too much air in them.
17. Local Chinese Restaurant. The Entire Kitchen Is Walled Off With Plastic. There’s A Cardboard Flap To Pass Money, And The Box On The Right Acts As An Airlock With Two Flaps To Pass The Food Through. It’s All Plastic Sheets, Cardboard, And Duct Tape
18. Whoever Built This Might Have A Ph.D. In Redneck Engineering
19. The Steering Wheel Broke, Needed To Finish The Yard. Thankfully I Know How To Drive A Stick
20. Your Move, NASA
21. Use A Fishing Rod To Teach Your Son Baseball
22. We Needed To Disassemble A Shelf In An Office, And We Didn’t Have A Mallet. Rubber Bands + Hammer = Mallet
23. Silent Killer Mkii
24. I Came Across This Picture And Wanted To Share
25. *Beep Beep*
26. When Covid Requires Separate Climate Control In An Auto, What Can You Do?
27. Grandpa: 1 Trash Panda: 0
28. Redneck Security System
29. That’ll Do, For Now, He Said. That Was 4 Years Ago
30. My Life Has Been A Lie
31. Gotta Love Uhaul
32. I Bought A Used Toy For My Kids At A Garage Sale. I Guess They Didn’t Have Any C Batteries. But They Did Have An Aa Battery And A Wood Dowel Though
33. This Is Why We Have The 2nd Amendment. So People Can Do This
34. I Ran Out Of Washers, So I Drilled Through Some Pennies
35. I Installed My Anti-Tailgater Device Today… Now I Need To Find Something For Folks Who Cut Me Off…
36. Are Russians The Rednecks Of Europe?
37. 50 Bucks Isn’t Too Bad. I Just Gotta Watch The Toes
38. Flex Seal Can Do Anything
39. Need To Relocate Your Switch?
40. Text Means “Emergency Stop.”
41. The Ultimate Redneck Engineering From Russia
42. I’ll Knock; Thanks
43. No Foundation? No Problem…
44. When The Crap Gets Clumping, You Get Jumping!
45. Not Stupid If It Works
46. Where Can I Get One?
47. Engineering Level: Redneck
48. The Wife And I Were Tearing Down A Wall And Saw This And Found This Sub Appropriate As Hell, An iPhone 5 Box Being Used As A Fan Control Holder! Yet Completely Drywalled So You Couldn’t Tell!
49. I Got A Heated Pool Now. Yup
50. Our Hose Broke At Work, But Luckily We Got A Redneck In The Kitchen
Like what you’re reading? Subscribe to our top stories.