40 Easy DIYs That Will Instantly Upgrade Your Home
Going through a home renovation is actually the worst. Time to take matters into your own hands.
1. Replace your plain old ceiling light with a lampshade.
Who invented flush mounts and why are they so damn ugly? Tutorial here.
2. Hide an ugly backsplash with plastic tiles that look like tin.
Renters rejoice. Directions here.
4. Dress up your windows with crown moulding.
5. Hiding beneath the outer layer of your laminate countertop is a stone-like surface waiting to be painted.
It looks just like soapstone. Get the full directions here.
6. Add cheap framed mirrors to closet doors, painted to match.
Your selfie game just got way stronger.
Or add unframed mirrors to bi-fold closet doors.
7. Update your bathroom vanity in 20 minutes.
Concrete is so hot right now. Get the directions here.
8. Use tab curtains to cover up unsightly wire shelving.
Your garage might actually not look like civil unrest for once. Thank the genius who thought of concept here.
9. For when you need a little privacy, frost your windows with cornstarch.
This is witchcraft. Directions here.
10. Use simple brass hardware as curtain tie-backs.
You can get brass snap hooks for around $2 at any hardware store.
11. Hang curtains closer to the ceiling to give the illusion of bigger windows.
12. The same basic theory works with your shower curtain, too: Spraypaint a shower rod gold and suspend it from the ceiling.
The height of the shower curtain will give the illusion of higher ceilings. Just make sure you get an extra-long shower curtain.
13. Get instant shaker-style kitchen cabinets.
Scandinavian home blog here you come. Directions here.
14. Or use beadboard wallpaper for a more farmhouse look.
Get the directions here.
15. Add molding + shelving to the top of your kitchen cabinets.
The extra storage is an awesome bonus, but it also adds an extra level of polish to your kitchen. Directions here.
16. Double up on your shower curtains so they partinstead of slide.
Make every morning your own person debut into the world.
17. Bookend your closet rods with fancy shelf brackets.
If you have an exposed rack, it really frames it in a nice way.
18. Mix and match your sheer curtains.
It’ll look especially dreamy in a teenage girl’s bedroom.
19. Get the right size rugs and know how to place them.
20. Frame your flat screen with moulding trim.
21. Make a dining room table instantly more charming by attaching wood planks.
It’ll look like a piece of handmade furniture you got off Etsy or something. Directionshere.
23. Just a coat of spray paint will make old air vents look new again.
Once you try this DIY, you will want to spray paint everything.
25. Paint your vinyl or linoleum flooring.
This changes EVERYTHING. See how it’s done here.
26. Did you hear? Accent ceilings are the new accent walls.
It gives depth to a room, and doesn’t detract from the brightening effect of light-colored walls. See more photos of this bathroom here.
27. Half-painted walls give the illusion of a taller ceiling.
clive tompsett photography for sköna hem
Especially if you don’t have any crown moulding.
28. Inexpensive craft store frames fit perfectly around your light switch covers.
See how she did this here.
29. Make a boring cabinet look regal with moulding.
Instant class. Tutorial here.
30. Use a curved shower curtain rod to make a window look bigger.
It’s called balloon drapery and it will make any living room look just GRAND.
31. Use carpet underlayment as your rug pad to get that comfy plush feeling.
It’s cheaper than a rug pad is, too. See the tip in action here.
32. Liquid stainless steel paint exists, y’all.
Rejoice! Cuz new appliances these days are basically highway robbery. Get the directions here.
34. Swap your outlet covers with jumbo outlet covers.
And avoid that weird messy gap.
35. Un-stain and re-stain your furniture.
Trends change, and sometimes that orange-y cherry stain isn’t really the look you’re going for anymore. Getting the stain off a piece of furniture is surprisingly easy. Get the directions here.
36. Framing your bathroom mirror will make it “sit” nicely with the rest of your decor.
Get the directions here.
37. Cover your unsightly cords with suede cording you can buy at any craft store.
See how they did this here.
38. Add a strip of trim a bit above already existing baseboards, paint between, and you get faux thick baseboards.
Fancy baseboards on the cheap. Get the directions here.
39. Dress your bed like they do in the hotels.
And then MAKE IT. Every damn morning. You’re an adult.
40. Use picture frames as wainscoting.
And the Victorian transformation is now complete. Get the tutorial here.
Like what you’re reading? Subscribe to our top stories.