Some buildings are like terrible accidents—you can’t help but feel bad looking at them, yet can’t seem to turn your eyes away either. Whether it’s the unfortunate design or the toll time has taken on them, such constructions rarely fail to catch one’s attention.
Unsurprisingly, there is an entire subreddit devoted to this type of eyesore. Members of the ‘Shitty Building Porn’ community share images of buildings gone wrong, which add up to quite an impressive (sadly, not in a positive way) collection. We have found some of the most peculiar examples to browse that show just how important certain architectural decisions are. (H/T)
01. [Terrible] Building In Philadelphia
Architecture is an intricate practice requiring loads of knowledge, creativity, and a good eye for detail. It entails not only coming up with the right design for a building but also overlooking its construction. Both of these phases are equally important for the overall architectural integrity of the completed structure.
Taking care of responsibilities from the first draft on a napkin to the final result on the street might be a handful. And that’s why this art form is not for everyone. However, according to 2019 data, there were over 115,000 licensed architects in the U.S. The same year, the number of architects’ businesses reached nearly 70,000, while now it’s getting close to 75,000.
02. Selfridges Department Store In England
03. I’m On The 9th Floor. You Can’t-Miss It! [Kuwait]
Architecture is a multifaceted field; those who seek a career in it have options in what they want to narrow their focus on. However, no matter which path they choose, some rules apply to all of them—structures have to be visually appealing yet safe and functional.
Roman architect Vitruvius Pollio is believed to be the first one to emphasize these requirements. In the first century B.C.E., he used the Latin words firmitas (strength), Utilitas (utility), and venustas (beauty) to indicate the crucial elements of a well-designed building.
04. Upside-Down Building
05. [Terrible] Thin Building, Egypt
Regarding possible career paths, Arch20 has indicated seven types of architects. Residential and commercial architects are responsible for creating reliable dwellings, office buildings, shopping centers, and similar profit-generating properties. Then some interior designers have the know-how and an excellent eye for what goes well together (when it comes to shapes, colors, materials, and other subtleties).
06. Mirador Building In Madrid
07. Federal Building In San Francisco
08. This Ugly House In Mill Basin, Brooklyn
Architecture takes into account people’s lifestyles, values, and needs. As we start to pay attention to eco-friendly and energy-efficient housing, creating constructions with such properties falls on the shoulders of green design architects. Other professions closely linked to people’s needs are landscape architects and urban designers, who make our environment a more convenient place to live. Last but not least—industrial architects boast specific knowledge enabling them to come up with the most suitable industry-based decisions.
09. Dome Home Near The Gulf
10. Horrible Attempt At Re-Creating The Nice Architecture Of An Older Building
11. Markus Bahlmann – Macau Old Residential Building
However, you don’t have to be an architect to appreciate a beautiful design. It doesn’t matter if it’s a 19th-century Victorian-style house, an urban blocklike dwelling, or something else entirely. And suppose there are no examples of your favored architectural style nearby. In that case, you can always go online—as with most topics, the internet is brimming with content showcasing magnificent buildings. (For instance, check out the Architecture & Design posts on this Instagram account.)
12. Antilia In India (Personal Home)
13. The Rock In New Zealand
14. Grand Lisboa Hotel In Macau
Regarding attention-worthy online content, lovers of all things architecture might appreciate ‘Architecture Hunter‘, a digital media project focusing on construction and design. They shed light on extraordinary examples of human creativity that they believe have to be witnessed by the world. Deservingly so. Scroll through their Instagram to see some of the visuals yourself.
15. Elephant Building In Bangkok
16. Kaden Tower In Kentucky
17. Gateway To A Residential Neighborhood In Poland
To balance out the beautiful architecture-related content on social media, designs on the other end of the spectrum are also covered online. Ugly Belgian Houses is an excellent example of such counterweights.
18. National Library In Buenos Aires, Argentina
19. House Of Soviets In Kaliningrad
20. Another Railway Station In Estonia
The way we distinguish the appealing from the appalling is very subjective. However, when it comes to architecture, people can be split into two camps—architects and designers versus the rest of the folk. This idea was analyzed by the founding director of the Penn Center for Neuroaesthetics, professor of neurology, psychology, and architecture, Anjan Chatterjee, in his article for Psychology Today.
In a previous study, he covered how the brain responds to architecture. The professor revealed that how people experience beauty in specific interiors could correlate with neural activity responsible for the feeling of reward. “The aesthetic experience of architectural interiors draws on the same reward systems associated with the pleasure we experience in gazing at beautiful faces as well as in satisfying primary appetites such as food and sex,” he wrote.
21. The 800 – Louisville, Ky
22. First World Hotel In Malaysia
23. Beautiful Skyscraper In Krakow, Poland
Some architectural gems ought to evoke a feeling of reward simply by marveling at them, the works of Antoni Gaudí, for instance. The intricate, colorful designs of the renowned Catalan architect are considered some of the world’s most exceptional examples of architectural heritage. Unsurprisingly, they gather thousands of people to Barcelona to witness them firsthand. (Make sure to add Park Güell, La Casa Vicens, Casa Batlló, and, of course, the iconic Sagrada Família to your itinerary if you’re planning a visit yourself.)
24. Verizon Building N.Y.C.
25. Brand New Homes In Shorewood, Illinois
26. Landmark Theater In England
If architectural wonders are your cup of tea, browsing participants (and the winners, especially) of related contests might become your new favorite pastime. The annual Architecture MasterPrize, for instance, presents an abundance of eye-candy-like designs.
27. Toys R Us – Battle Creek, Mi
28. Part Of A Cookie Cutter Housing Development Project, So There Are 40 Others Like This. (Non-Us)
29. Majesty Building – Orlando
If you prefer browsing nightmare-of-a-building design examples, this list of reasons someone should have hired a professional might be just what you need. However, if you need a pick me up after viewing these disasters, make sure to check out some examples of ‘friendly architecture‘. They will undoubtedly bring back your faith in architects.
30. Some Ugly Building In Athens, Greece
31. Boston City Hall In Boston
32. People’s Park Hotel In Singapore
33. Literal [Terrible] Building
34. [Terrible] Rental – Chch, New Zealand
35. That Should Do It! (Virgin Active Gym In George, South Africa)
36. Joliet, Illinois
37. John F. Kennedy Terrace, Joliet, Illinois
38. Department Of Education (Pohnpei)
39. Bosvale Community Centre, Cornwall, UK
40. [Terrible] Building In Rotterdam
41. Department Store In Estonia
42. Parque Do Sol, Caxias Do Sul, Brazil
43. A Shack In Hampton, Nh
44. Manila Slums
45. Delftware Warming Station In the Netherlands
46. House Fit For A King. (Russia)
47. Railway Station In Estonia
48. La Lavadora In Mexico City
49. Cabrini Green – Chicago (These Are Why Chicago Is So Anti-Gun)
50. Building In Bodie, A Town In California
Like what you’re reading? Subscribe to our top stories.
Discussion about this post